The year was 1898. William McKinley was president. A young artist named Edwin F. Bauer, crossing the country by train, decided to stop over in Minneapolis to check it out. The city was bustling, busy feeding grain to a growing nation. He liked the city and the people so much that he decided to stay and start a commercial art company - the Bureau of Design.
The Bureau of Engraving, Inc. which it was renamed later, has continued to expand its services and in 1914, they started the Art Instruction Schools to help with the lack of trained illustrators for a growing printing and advertising market.
In 1954, the Bureau of Engraving, Inc opened the doors to a circuit board manufacturing facility which remained in business until 2003.
In 2004, The Bureau added a digital print division featuring a Xerox iGen3.
In 2006, The Bureau completed a major technology overhaul, upgrading every piece of technology within its walls.
In 2007, The Bureau launched The Bureau Online which is our Online Storefront, Prepress Portal and Creative Workflow Solution.
In 2010, The Bureau aquires a new 73" 6 color Manroland Press.
In 2012, The Bureau upgrades 73" Manroland press to UV.
In 2014, The Bureau is aquired by The Vomela Companies.
In 2014, The Bureau completes the move of its operations to its new facility in Maplewood MN.
In 2014, The Bureau adds a 40" 6 color UV Manroland press.